
Calais Citadel: Unbelievable Photos You HAVE to See!
Calais Citadel: Seriously? Unbelievable Photos? You HAVE to See This (And Stay Here!) - A Brutally Honest Review
Alright, let’s be real. "Unbelievable Photos You HAVE to See!" – that's a bold claim, right? Especially when it comes to a hotel stay. I’ve seen enough perfectly-angled Instagram shots that lied to me about the actual state of affairs. So, I went to the Calais Citadel, with all my skepticism and a camera of my own, ready to call shenanigans if needed. And guess what? They actually mostly delivered.
First Impressions: The Arrival (And the Quest for Caffeine!)
Okay, so the exterior? Not gonna lie, it's imposing. Think sturdy, solid… and maybe a tad grumpy looking. But, hey, it's a citadel! It's supposed to be a fortress, not a fluffy cloud. The check-in was…well, it was fine. Not exactly a red-carpet experience, but efficient. (Contactless check-in/out, which is a massive plus, especially post-pandemic. I’m still battling germ anxiety, okay?). The front desk was staffed 24 hours a day, which is crucial. And let me tell you, after a long drive, the ability to grab a coffee in the AM is life-saving.
Accessibility: Making it Work, Mostly Good.
Accessibility is a really important consideration for me, and it seems they’ve made an effort. The elevator was a lifesaver! And there were definitely "Facilities for disabled guests", though I didn't have a chance to test them out fully. The website does mention wheelchair accessibility, but I'd advise calling directly to clarify specific needs before booking.
Rooms: A Sanctuary (Mostly) – And a Battle With the Blackout Curtains!
My room? It was…pleasant. Clean, which is paramount these days. Daily housekeeping, thank god! And Rooms sanitized between stays is excellent. The bed was comfy, the extra long bed which I appreciated and the air conditioning worked a charm. The soundproofing was impressive – blessedly blocking out the sounds of… well, whatever the heck went on outside. (Seriously, I never figured it out.) The bathrobes and complimentary tea were thoughtful touches.
Now, the blackout curtains. Let me tell you, they were serious. Like, "can't tell if it's noon or midnight" serious. Which is great for sleeping in, but it also meant I stumbled around in the dark for a while. It was a bit comical, in retrospect. Speaking of amenities, a mini-bar and coffee/tea maker are must haves. Plus a refrigerator for those midnight snacks. And Free bottled water.
Internet, Glorious Internet! (And Other Techy Bits)
Internet access – wireless (Wi-Fi) was free and mostly reliable. Wi-Fi in all rooms! They promised it, and they delivered. Honestly, it was crucial for uploading those "unbelievable" photos later. There was also Internet access – LAN if I was feeling old-school.
I did happen to peek into the business center, and they had the usual suspects: Xerox/fax, meetings, and meeting/banquet facilities. Plus, Audio-visual equipment for special events, seems like it's good for a conference.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, glorious food, (Sometimes Glorious-ish)
Okay, let's talk food. The restaurant was… decent. The buffet was the usual fare, but they had a decent selection. The Asian breakfast was an interesting touch, though I stuck to the more familiar Western breakfast. The coffee was acceptable. The room service was a true godsend. After a long day of exploring, I basically collapsed on the bed and ordered. The 24-hour room service is a major win. I'm talking comfort food, delivered straight to my door. Pure heaven.
There's also a poolside bar, which is fantastic for cocktails in good weather.
Things to Do (And How to Relax, Because We Need To!)
Alright, the Citadel had a swimming pool [outdoor]. It's a pool with a view! This was a highlight. A real escape. They also had a gym/fitness center, though I sadly didn't find the time (or the motivation). But if you're the workout type, it’s there. They have a spa/sauna with a steamroom. The massage was divine, a moment of pure bliss that made me forget all my travel woes.
Cleanliness and Safety: Breathe Easy (Mostly)
This is hugely important to me right now. The Anti-viral cleaning products gave me a small sense of relief. Daily disinfection in common areas? Yes, please! Hand sanitizer everywhere? Also, yes. Hygiene certification? Good to see. Rooms sanitized between stays? Fantastic. They staff trained in safety protocol and they had Masks everywhere which is good too. Even the kitchen and tableware items were Sanitized. They were cashless payment service.
The "Unbelievable Photos" Factor: Did It Live Up To The Hype?
Well, the Citadel itself is photogenic. But, the "unbelievable" aspect really depends on what you’re looking for. There's something undeniably cool about staying in an old building like this… It’s a bit of history. The views are pretty impressive.
Quirks and Imperfections: Because Nobody's Perfect (Thank God!)
There were a few imperfections, naturally. The gym could do with a bit of an upgrade. Parking near the entrance was limited. And, let's be honest, the staff weren't exactly overflowing with personality. But hey, you're not looking for a buddy, you're looking for a comfortable place to crash and charge your phone!
Overall Verdict: Worth the Stay? Absolutely.
Would I go back? Yes, absolutely. The location is excellent for exploring Calais. The amenities are good for a hotel of this caliber, and the cleanliness and safety measures are a huge selling point in this day and age.
The "You Have to See this" Offer (and Why YOU Should Book Now!)
Here’s the deal. Book your stay at Calais Citadel today (or at least, before I book every single room!).
Here's What You Get:
- Unforgettable Views: Wake up to stunning views.
- Relaxation, Redefined: Unwind in the spa, take a dip in the pool, and forget the stress of travel.
- Cleanliness Guaranteed: Feel secure with the hotel's commitment to hygiene and safety.
- Convenience is Key: Free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room service, and all the amenities you need for a comfortable stay.
Bonus Perk Enjoy up to 10% off per booking when using this limited time discount code: CITADELFUN
So, what are you waiting for? Book now, breathe easy, and prepare to be (mostly) impressed!
Goa's Hidden Gem: Hotel O Om Babu - Paradise Found!
Alright, brace yourselves, because this ain't your sanitized, Instagram-ready travel guide. This is my La Citadelle, Calais, France diary. Prepare for a bumpy ride, folks… and a whole lot of cheese references, because, well, France.
La Citadelle: More Than Just Bricks and Mortar (Probably… Let’s Find Out!)
Day 1: Arrival and Apprehension (and a Terrible Croissant)
- 9:00 AM (ish) - THE FERRY OF DOOM: Hopped on that ferry from Dover, which was surprisingly… fine. No seasickness, despite my crippling anxiety about boats. A small victory! The wind whipped my hair into a frenzy, and I, attempting to look nonchalant, somehow managed to spill coffee all over my new (and now ruined) white scarf. Sigh. Already off to a glamorous start.
- 10:30 AM - Smelly Calais (My First Impression): Calais… well, it's a port town. And ports, let's be honest, often smell like fish, and diesel fumes, and a general air of "stuff happening." Not exactly a bouquet of roses. But hey, at least it's real, right? Arrived, and immediately got lost. Surprise, surprise.
- 11:00 AM - Croissant Catastrophe: Okay, I'm going to get this out of the way: The croissant. The pain au chocolat. The holy grail of French pastries. I found a boulangerie near the train station, and, fueled by the need for carbs, I grabbed both. The pain au chocolat was… okay. The croissant? Dense, dry, and tasted faintly of cardboard. My hopes and dreams, immediately crushed. It wasn't even warm. This is a culinary crime! I felt like I had an emotional reaction about croissant the whole day.
- 11:30 AM - Finding the Citadelle (Literally, and Emotionally): Finally, after many wrong turns and a slightly panicked phone call to my (very patient) travel companion, I stumbled (literally) upon the Citadelle. The walls are… imposing. They're big. Really big. Okay, I got it. They did a great job. And the views out over the channel from up there are astonishing, and the whole place is really cool, but there's a lot to take in. You need to feel it, you know? Not just observe.
- 12:30 PM - Lunch and Regret: Found a little café near the Citadelle. Ordered a croque monsieur because, clearly, I wasn't learning from my earlier pastry experience. It tasted… like a croque monsieur. Perfectly fine. But the waiter barely acknowledged my existence. (French stereotypes: confirmed.)
- 1:30 PM - Wanderings and Wonderings: Started to ramble around the Citadelle. The history. The architecture. It's all there, but it was overwhelming. There's this weird, almost ghostly feeling there, like a bunch of stories are just hovering around you. I started reading some of the plaques but felt lost in translation. I got lost and confused, and it took way more time than I expected.
- 4:00 PM - Down by the Beach: Decided I needed some sand and salty air to clear my head. Walked to the beach. The wind was brutal. I built a pathetic little sandcastle, which promptly got flattened by a rogue wave. Symbolism? Perhaps.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner Debacle: Attempted to find a decent restaurant. Google Maps led me astray. Ended up at a place that smelled suspiciously of old socks and serving what I could only describe as "mystery meat." Gave up. Ate crisps from a vending machine in my hotel room. My stomach rumbled in protest.
- 8:00 PM - Reflections (and more Cheese): I'm in my hotel room, nursing a lukewarm beer, eating cheese (because, France, you can't escape the cheese). Thinking about the day. The Citadelle, it's… intense. I didn't feel like I understood it at all. A place of great significance, and yet… I felt like an outsider. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Or maybe, I just won't give up. You can have some emotional reactions.
Day 2: Digging Deeper (and Maybe Finding Some Cheese-Based Happiness)
- 9:00 AM - Breakfast Redemption?: Found another boulangerie. This time, I asked the locals to give me their take on the best pain au chocolat, and the verdict was great. This time, I got it. Warm, flaky, chocolatey… heaven. My faith in French pastries, restored!
- 10:00 AM - The Citadelle, Part Deux: Getting Lost… Intentionally: Armed with a better map (and a renewed sense of hope), I returned to the Citadelle. This time, I decided to really explore. Ditch the guidebooks, ditch the pressure. Just wander. I spent an hour just climbing the ramparts. I watched the light change on the walls and towers. I felt… something. A connection, maybe. The sea breeze, the grit of the stone under my fingers, the echo of footsteps… it's all very atmospheric.
- 12:00 PM - The Tunnel: Deep Down: Decided to actually go down into the tunnel, which was both dark and claustrophobic. It seemed creepy and a bit unnerving, and it was hard to imagine what it was like back in its day.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch! (And Cheese): I found a little bistro down the street. Had a delicious quiche, and the waiter, bless his heart, actually cracked a smile. I swear, French people are more friendly without the pressure to be. Ordered a cheese platter. Because, France. Cheese. Yes.
- 2:00 PM - The Museum Interlude: There is a museum within the Citadelle, with artifacts and things. I didn't look at much, but there was a movie. I went in and I watched this movie about the history of this place. After, I had an emotional reaction. This place was far more significant than I even understood.
- 4:00 PM - The Walls: Back to the walls. Spent some more time just sitting on the stones, staring out at the sea. The wind was still fierce, but something had shifted. I felt a strange sense of peace. I think I started to understand the place a bit.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner and a Drink: Found a nice restaurant. Had a perfectly cooked steak and a glass of red wine. And… the waiter smiled at me! Progress!
- 8:00 PM - The Real Goodbyes: Tomorrow, I leave. I really feel like it had taken me two days to feel the place.
Day 3: Departure and Reflections
- 9:00 AM - Last Bites: One last pain au chocolat. This time, I savored it. Every flaky, chocolatey bite.
- 10:00 AM - Farewell, Citadelle: A final, long look at the Citadelle. Standing there, I felt a weird pang of sadness. The place is a beast to understand, but now I feel grateful I had a chance to feel it. I'm heading to the train.
- Departure: Back on the ferry. The wind still whips. The sea still smells. But this time, I don't feel overwhelmed. I feel like I've learned something. About the Citadelle. About myself. And about the importance of good cheese.
- Final Thoughts: Calais isn't a city for the faint of heart. It's real, it's a bit rough around the edges and a little bit dirty. But, if you're willing to dig a little, if you're willing to get lost, if you're willing to embrace the mess, you might just find something really special. You might just find a place with soul. And you will. And you'll enjoy it, and the memories will be incredible.
P.S. Buy more cheese. You'll need it.
London's Chicest 2-Bed Haven: Austin David Apartments Await!
Calais Citadel: Unbelievable Photos You HAVE to See! - (Or Maybe Not, Depending on Your Mood)
Alright, so the Calais Citadel. Let's talk about it. Everyone's raving about the photos, right? "Unbelievable!" they say. Well, buckle up, buttercups, because my "unbelievable" experience might be a little…different. I'm not saying the Citadel *isn't* photo-worthy, I'm saying life's a messy, chaotic, sometimes underwhelming masterpiece, and that's what I'm here to spill. And, frankly, my camera battery died halfway through, so… yeah. Let's dive in.
1. Okay, But Like, What *IS* the Calais Citadel Anyway? (Don't Judge My Ignorance)
Technically? It's a star fort, a massive, defensive structure built in the 16th century. Think HUGE walls, intricate fortifications, and a whole lotta history. Basically, they built it to keep the bad guys out. And, let's be honest, at that point in history the bad guys were *always* lurking. It's impressive architecture, when you're actually looking *at* it. I, however, was mostly distracted by the seagulls.
2. Is It ACTUALLY "Unbelievable" Photo-Worthy? Spill the Tea! (Please, I Need to Know if I wasted a Trip.)
Okay, here's the raw truth. Some angles? Definitely. Especially the ones with that glorious, stormy sky. Those are the money shots. I spent a good hour trying to recreate them – with minimal success, I might add. Then, the battery died! God, I hate that. But, the reality on-the-ground? It's…well, let's just say the "unbelievable" factor is dependent on your expectations and your ability to Photoshop out the unfortunate pigeons. It's *big* so it is visually arresting. But, be prepared for a slightly…underwhelming feeling if you're expecting pure, unadulterated, Instagram-worthy perfection. Plus I'm terrible at planning. I should have gone at dawn. The light is better. I got stuck in traffic.
3. Those Photos… Are They Edited? (Don't Lie!)
Oh, you know they are. It's a modern world, darling. Expect filters. Expect dramatic lighting effects. Expect maybe, just maybe, a strategically placed cloud or two. While "unbelievable" itself is a stretch, the Citadel *can* look incredible. But remember, reality is rarely as crisp and clean as a perfectly filtered photo. The reality is the place is actually well… *preserved*, but still very, very old. The walls look more like the real deal when you visit.
4. The Best Way to Photograph the Citadel? Hit Me With the Insider Tips! (Or, You Know, Just Some Semi-Useful Advice)
Okay, here's what *I* learned, in order of usefulness:
- Go Early: Beat the crowds and the sun. Golden hour is your friend. I went at lunch. I regret it.
- Find the High Ground: Look for access to the higher ramparts. They give you the best views and angles. I was so focused on finding a decent sandwich, I missed this. Again, regret.
- Embrace the Sky: The dramatic skies are key. If it's a boring, grey day, you're gonna struggle. (I struggled.)
- Don't Forget the Details: Look for interesting textures, shadows, and architectural features. I was too busy trying to find a toilet.
- Charge Your Damn Phone/Camera: Seriously. Do as I say, not as I do.
Honestly? Just wander around and see what speaks to you. Don't let the perfect photos ruin your own experience.
5. The Actual Experience: Was It A Letdown? Spill. Now.
Okay, deep breath. Look, the Citadel itself is impressive. The size, the age, the whole idea of it – remarkable. Walking the ramparts and seeing the views…okay, yeah, pretty cool. But I’m a messy traveler. I got distracted. I chased a seagull (don’t judge me). I tripped over a loose cobblestone. My shoes got muddy. Did I mention the battery died?
So, was it a letdown? Part of me says yes. Part of me says, "Well, you could have had a better time if you weren't such a clutz." But was it *worth* it? Absolutely. Even the less-than-perfect bits. Even the frustrating battery issue. Because, real life isn't always filtered and perfect. Sometimes, it's cobblestones and muddy shoes and the occasional, spectacular view. And those are the memories that stick, right?
Also, I found a really good cafe nearby!
6. Any Quirky Observations? Funny Anecdotes? Make me Laugh! (Please, After All This Honesty, I Need It)
Oh, here's one! I spent a solid ten minutes trying to climb a wall and get the "perfect" shot. Failed miserably. Completely humiliated, I sat down on a bench, defeated, and then realized I was being watched by a group of school children. They were *very* amused. I just burst out laughing. I'm now quite sure I'm forever etched in the memory of a group of 10-year olds as "The Lady Who Couldn't Climb a Wall." And you know what? I’m totally fine with it. It was a good day, even if it wasn’t *perfect*.
And another: The seagulls. They're everywhere. They're judgemental. They're plotting. I'm convinced they're running a secret society. Watch out for them.
7. Is it Worth the Trip? (The Ultimate Question!)
Yes. Absolutely. Even if you're a messy traveler like me. Even if your photos don't match the Instagram hype. The Calais Citadel is a genuine piece of history. It's beautiful, even with its imperfections. Just go. Lower your expectations. Charge your phone. And be prepared to trip over a cobblestone. You'll probably have a great time! Just don't expect everything to look, or feel, as glossy as it does on some of those "unbelievable" photos. Life rarely is. And that’s part of the fun.

